Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Cleveland Clowns, I mean BROWNS!

There are many versatile young men in this years draft that can greatly help the struggling Browns.

Devin Hester, who introduced himself as "Hester" @ this year's Senior Bowl, is a player who came into last years college football season all the hype as a clutch playmaker, particularly as a punt returner. Him, along with his entire team, had a lackluster season, and even though another year in school may have helped him, he decided to enter this years draft.

Check out his player page: Devin Hester

He has a great deal of of athleticism. The downside is that he might not have a real position after playing a little on defense and a limited role on offense at UM.

He knows he probably won't follow in the recent Miami tradition of early picks who get drafted in the first round, he has chosen the position of cornerback and said he is "ready to contribute in any way possible."

"I'll bring a spark to special teams," he said. "I know that special teams is a key aspect to the game. When I return punts I feel like I can set my offense up with good field position every time I get my hands on the ball. And on defense I'm going to work to become a lockdown corner."

That work began a couple of weeks ago in Orlando, with a cornerback you may have heard of once or twice, Deion Sanders. Sanders and Hester have known each other for years, and Sanders is helping Hester "turn his raw physical talents into skills that will help him succeed in an NFL secondary."

"I look at (Sanders) as my Godfather," Hester said. "There's a lot I can learn from a guy like that, on and off the field."

Another player with many talents, but didn't shine brightly @ Kansas, is Charles Gordon. Also an early entry, Gordon played on both sides of the ball at Kansas and proved to be a dynamic playmaker. He had seven interceptions in 2004, tied for most in the nation, and two more last fall for a Kansas defense that didn't recieve the attention they deserved.

Check out his player bio: Charles Gordon

Gordon leaves a Kansas’ all-time punt return leader and totaled 106 catches for 1,232 yards, including nine touchdowns, as a receiver.

Defensive end Mario Williams from North Carolina State looks like he'll be a high pick. Williams led his team to #8 in defense this past year. At 6-foot-7, 290 pounds Williams holds a great advantage over other prospects that are smaller than him. Although, I see Williams going as the 6th pick to the Oakland Raiders, so the Browns probably won't even get a chance.

Another few players the Browns are considering for later in the draft:

Boston College’s Will Blackmon : cornerback

Missouri's Brad Smith: Looked at as either a QB or runningback

Texas A & M's Brad Smith: Looked at as either a QB or runningback

2 Comments:

Blogger Azdez said...

I always get suspicious of any player that goes by his street name. His ego is a little out of control for not really having accomplished much, don't you think? The Browns will only start to improve with solid picks and a refocus on priories. I don't expect much so Ohio fans look to the Queen City for football smiles.

TheL&G

7:56 AM  
Blogger alanamunro said...

I agree ian. The Browns will surprise some people (I've been saying this now for years) if Frye steps his game up to the next level. He proved to be a player of great importance, and if he can continue to be consistent
i can only hope good things will come for the good ol' Brownies.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home